Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Sep 2013 10:24:48 -0700
From:         Vanagon <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: solar charge controller
Comments: To: Ryan Press <ryan@PRESSLAB.US>

Yes, Morningstar do make a good controller. The Blue Sky 2000e that I use also permits adjustment to what your battery mfgr recommends as full-charge and float voltage, like the Morningstar it has accommodations for a remote battery temp sensor (recommended for camping since batt temps can vary with the conditions), and it also has an "equalize" mode for battery maintenance. <http://www.trojanbattery.com/batterymaintenance/equalizing.aspx>

Kind of like how a transmission matches the engine to the road, MPPT style controllers match the panel to the battery more efficiently than simpler controllers. For example, this controller has adjusted its input impedance so the panel is operating at its maximum power level under the conditions (morning, thin sunlight) and the panel is delivering 5.1 amps into the controller, and the controller is outputting 6 amps into the battery. Faster recharge.

BTW, the panels (I have two) printed labels state that under ideal conditions with a load that permits the panels to be at 17.4 volts, they will put out 2.9 amps each. Were the panels to be directly connected to the battery, or through a pwm controller, they would not be at their idea voltage and thus not be putting out their maximum current. With the MPPT, their rated maximum current is being delivered to the battery.

I like MPPT. It increases the odds that I will be able to get the house battery fully recharged before night. Otherwise the battery will go lower and lower every day. And I'm here on a 14-day campout without access to power, while running LED lighting and a Vitrifrigo refrigerator.

Sent from my 1963 maroon and cream 702B Western Electric Princess phone.