Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 Sep 2013 11:56:14 -0500
From:         JRodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Front-end workout
Comments: To: Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>

Wonder what a rebuild like this would cost if done in a commercial shop? Any ideas - ball park?\\

John

On 9/19/2013 6:54 PM, Jim Felder wrote: > Just finished up a nearly week-long marathon of front end work. Replaced > the brakes, a caliper and line, bearings, and all bushings right down to > the steering rack with polyurethane and on the inner ones, Flennor OEM > style rubber. Also complete all-around spring replacement with two GoWesty > front springs. New metal sleeves on the anti-roll bar drop links (NLA, > almost didn't find any, mine came from Canada) and the whole enchilada. > > There is nothing on a vanagon I have not had out in my hands now except for > the five-speed transmission. This front end work is the most extensive, > painful and and exhausting things I think you can do by yourself (I did > call upon the wife twice to put force on a along prybar) on a Vanagon. It > makes a new engine R and R look downright trivial, cost is not all that > much different either. Even painting the car did not take so long. > > Whew. Tomorrow I will bleed the brakes and see if it was worth the effort. > I could not have put it off anyway, I was beginning to hear metal on metal > at 3479000. > > I tried some poly bushings on an MGA restoration some years back and didn't > care for them all that much. But the stuff that is sold by T3 Techniques > for the Vanagon was irresistable. If you replace nothing else with poly, > shuck those rubber radius arm bushings and go with the T3 Techniques setup. > Genius. > > http://t3technique.com/ > > They have about everything you ever dreamed of for suspension, etc. Bus > Depot had the best buys on brakes, shoes, etc. GoWesty had the springs I > sprang for. > > BTW I pulled all of this over last weekend and took the parts around > several local shops to have the old rubber bushings pressed out and new > ones in. Got quotes like $250. Went to harbor freight and bought their > cheapest 4wd joint press for $75.00 and did it all with that in about an > hour and a half. A total of eight bushings. > > Jim >