Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 Sep 2013 12:31:27 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Why Bigger Brakes Was Cause of brake rotor warping
Comments: To: Edward Maglott <emaglott3@GMAIL.COM>

Some may find it interesting that brake discs are sometimes turned right on the car, using the car's engine and trans to turn the disc, for two reasons generally I think.. Brake discs are 'captured' on some FWD cars so they don't come off easily, like without taking the front wheel bearings/hub area apart .. and ...it can deliver a better, more true result.. turning it right onthe car , in place.

Honda's are typically done that way, forexample, especially at dealerships.

'turning rotors' .. and drums...getting that done really right is not 'automatic' at all. I have one guy ...been a machinist and parts store owner and hot rodder 'forever' .. and I think he's using decent equipment and doing the very best he can .. and yet .. if I rig up a rotor to check run-out with a dial gauge after getting it turned ...I'm still finding it's not that true .. off by a few thousandths, like under .005, but still not really true running. I generally just replace them these days with new 'uns.' and well-made ones, like European-made.

Let us know how your front brake job turns out. I always change the brake fluid to any wheel I work on at all. Ijust cringe when people or shops do pads n' rotors and leave the old brake fluid in .

On 9/20/2013 12:14 PM, Edward Maglott wrote: > This machine was turning both sides at the same time and it was easy to > stop it and see that the high areas on one side perfectly matched the low > areas on the other side. I'll have to ponder this in my head for a while > to think of ways that the disk is not "warped" but has high and low areas > that correspond.... > Edward > > > On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 2:15 PM, Tom Hargrave <thargrav@hiwaay.net> wrote: > >> You read the machine right and I've seen the same thing when I turned >> rotors. >> >> My "opinion" based on what I have observed, what I know and the article we >> both read is that "warped rotors" are probably rotors that are just thinner >> in some areas than others. And since rotors are turned one side at a time >> there is no way to correlate the observed warping with thinner & thicker >> areas. >> >> Thanks, Tom Hargrave >> www.kegkits.com >> www.stir-plate.com >> www.towercooler.com >> www.grow-sun.com >> www.raspberryproject.com >> >> -----Original Message----- >> From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM] On Behalf Of >> Edward Maglott >> Sent: Friday, September 20, 2013 1:05 PM >> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >> Subject: Re: Why Bigger Brakes Was Cause of brake rotor warping >> >> Hey, I got my warped rotors turned! The auto tech instructor at the >> college >> where I work let me watch while the first one was running. You could see >> by >> looking at where the cutters were taking material off the disk that it was >> warped. By warped I mean the places the cutter was removing material on >> one >> side was the opposite of where the cutter on the other side was removing >> material. By opposite I mean around the circumference of the disk. Like >> at >> 12 o'clock vs 6 o'clock. The article linked earlier seemed to indicate >> this >> was very very rare. Or did I not read that right? >> >> Edward >> >> >> On Sun, Sep 15, 2013 at 3:24 PM, Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@cox.net> wrote: >> >>> Jacobson Brakes, the company that made them popular. >>> >>> ---- Loren Busch <starwagen@GMAIL.COM> wrote: >>>> RE: Compression Braking devices or "Jake" Brakes Trivia question for >>>> this thread: Where does the term "Jake Brakes" >>>> come from? No Wiki now, I'll check with NSA to see if you cheated. >>>> First person with the right answer gets 100 points that can be used >>>> for whatever that person wants :) >>> -- >>> David McNeely >>> >>