Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 21 Sep 2013 17:02:34 -0400
From:         Edward Maglott <emaglott3@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Why Bigger Brakes Was Cause of brake rotor warping

The rotors I just had turned were the original ones on the car from the factory and nothing was removed from the car in that area other than normal wheel changes during that time. And they were fine for about 150k miles. So something is happening other than a deficient mounting of rotor on hub or a thickness buildup as the article describes. The ones currently on the car have been on about 40k and symptom free for about 35k. I wire brushed the hubs and used brake cleaner when I installed them. On these, I am having the symptom where the braking effect varies with wheel rotation. I can feel this dramatically by holding steady pedal pressure as the car comes to a stop. I will swap these rotors and get them turned and see how they look on the lathe too. The auto tech instructor said he had personally warped the rotors on his vehicle by driving into a deep puddle with hot brakes.

Edward

At 03:22 PM 9/20/2013, Mike S wrote: >On 9/20/2013 3:14 PM, Edward Maglott wrote: >>This machine was turning both sides at the same time and it was easy to >>stop it and see that the high areas on one side perfectly matched the low >>areas on the other side. I'll have to ponder this in my head for a while >>to think of ways that the disk is not "warped" but has high and low areas >>that correspond.... > >If you stick a dime under the disk before bolting it on, the same >thing happens. It's not warped, it only means that the plane of the >disc isn't perfectly normal (perpendicular) to the axis of rotation. >That could be either on the car, or on the lathe. A bit of rust is >enough to do it, you're only talking mils. I always wire brush the >hubs before installing new rotors (and inside the rotor hat if >reinstalling old ones). > >When it's on the car, it can cause a bit of vibration, but it >usually doesn't cause much pulsation (i.e. the brakes won't seem to >grab harder at one point of their rotation) - the calipers simply >move sideways to accomodate.