Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 15 Sep 2013 23:30:26 -0400
From:         Jim Akiba <syncrolist@BOSTIG.COM>
Subject:      Fwd: Engine Conversion factors/ease/cost Was: An Engine
              Conversion Begins-Mixed Emotions!

Ralph wrote: " > > If you are going to do a swap you need to > think thru all the good and bad things of any powerplant you are thinking > of then decide which is most favorable."

And there is the main problem. While this is 100% true, the person making that decision is often in the worst possible position to have a chance of making that decision correctly. Lack of experience in doing something like this, incomplete or mis-information, and a plethora of human biases are all in play. It is something that is ultimately much more complicated than the above mentioned powerplant which is only a part of the whole recipe.

It could be thought of in a cake analogy (sorry if you like pie more than cake, I like cake).

You are trying to make a cake, You want it to be something you will enjoy, and choose generally what cake you will make. Then for example you decide on the type of eggs you will used based on whatever you like, usually buy etc.

At this point would anyone say that you are ensured a good cake because you got eggs you like or are good? Doubtful, we have to ensure that not only are the rest of the ingredients good as well, the proportion and combination is correct, and the process is followed and executed correctly at the right times. Anything from too much flour to a burned or just really ugly cake could result.

It is common that you hear things like "the subaru conversion is great" which is equivalent to saying that XYZ brand of eggs is the best, and therefore the cakes are always the best if you use those eggs. That statement might actually be true *if* the recipe and execution of the rest of the cake is always the same, which is where it falls apart. What must be done is first, acknowledge this, and recognize how huge the impact is on total reliability/outcome of the cake making, and make it easy to always get the rest of the cake made consistently.

So imagine that all of the conversions are exactly the same level of difficulty when it comes to actually doing the work and the time it takes to turn the wrenches etc.

That would be like saying that the ingredients and kitchen/tools are the same for making the cake. The part left that could be different would be the directions/procedures in using those things. I can point to one location :https://bostig.zendesk.com/entries/25075132-Bostig-Factory-Manual that contains the directions to a recipe. Whereas, anything else, the person in the worst position to make the cake (never made the cake before, typically isn't very experienced in making cakes anyhow) has to cobble together the rest of the recipe and procedures by themselves...

Which cake is likely to come out consistently? Also which cake is likely to be what the recipe intended when done by lots of people? The one that has the most complete recipe and instructions.

Now turning back to the actual turning of wrenches etc. The Bostig installed by experienced professionals take 11-15 hours. Professional Subaru installs take 40-50 hours. While it's possible a novice could somehow invert the proportions because they are inexperienced exists, it is highly unlikely, I'd rather buy a powerball ticket.

I would guess that the inline VW would take somewhere in the middle, but there are no complete recipes followed by professionals currently to compare to.

On to cost. There are two major problems. For one, again the inconsistency is a big problem. If you are putting together your own recipe for large enough parts of things, and don't have experience, you are your own guinea pig. The reality of unforeseen issues may arise that you had no possible awareness of before you started. Unless you have a very complete recipe, you will have to rely on your gut or information that may not be correct to make judgement calls on things you don't actually, and can't actually know anything about. (Like if 15 people did the exact same recipe as yours, what would the biggest problems be, when would they happen, and what does it cost?) you will only know *after* you've tried making the cake and eaten some to know if it will be good.

The other is the spread/pattern of the resources involved in the recipe. In most cases in our analogy of cakes as engine conversions, the eggs cost about 80-90% of the total cake recipe. That is too much. It puts all of your eggs in one basket :) That itself means a couple things. It means the whole recipe is much more risk dependent on the eggs, and it means that there isn't a lot to go around for the other ingredients. The result of the failure of the egg part of the recipe, could cost 80-90% of the total cost all over again... THIS is how it can end up more expensive. One egg failure (which is usually the worst case scenario) and you could be into almost all the cost of the cake recipe all over again. In the case of the I-4 and the zetec, the eggs are very cheap... the subies, diesels, and rebuilds, the eggs are very expensive.

People only ever evaluate the cost of everything in the universe as nice, and the stars are aligned. You really should also evaluate your worst case scenario, because they happen much more frequently than anybody realizes. For certain everything will fall somewhere on that spectrum, so to have a real idea of what the risks are, you must think about it.

Since people don't naturally like to brag about failures(if it's somebody else's failure they will talk about it, if it's their own, for example their version of the recipe, they usually stay quiet) it is hard to hear about the actual frequency of failures. For instance if I didn't already know Don popped a head gasket on his I-4 from threads long ago, I might mistakenly think he had a fast, easy, cheap, trouble free I-4 install. If I didn't know how much time/learning/perfecting Neil did to his exhaust I might also think the same thing... and this is for cases that WERE published online...

There are countless more never published in all realms, but want you really want and what is ideal is if there is full responsibility for making sure the whole cake is correct from the originators of the recipe. Currently only one recipe exists that is like this. It's a piece of cake, and the cake is very consistent, and limited to a certain expense range in failures. That's why I said to Don that the I-4 could very well be cheaper, but it might not be depending on everything else. The time/money thing is equally important, but again the time is a lot more consistent when the instructions are more complete. The other recipes are not like this. I will shut up now. There is more on my blog which contains more of my sort of pseudo philosophy on engine conversions/builds:

http://bostigarticles.blogspot.com/

Jim Akiba