Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 22 Sep 2013 21:08:54 -0500
From:         JRodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      88 GL - Random engine stoppage

As I have mentioned before - I have had a few occasions when after shutting then engine off - it simply would not start again immediately. Had to rest - cool down maybe, before starting again. But the starter turned engine vigorously - but won't even fire. Now I am closer to a solution.

How so?? - one might ask. Well, an old time very experienced mechanic told me once that sometimes things have to get worse before you can figure the problem out.

Well - they have gotten worse. So maybe that means I'm closer to a solution.

Now - when running down the road - the engine just simply quits stone cold dead for a few seconds - then it will catch and goes for gusto. Just a bit later - it will do it again. This is definitely electrical - and I am highly suspicious of the Hall Sender - although I know an ECU could possibly cause this or perhaps a coil going bad. I know an O2 sensor can cause a rough running engine - but not this I don't think.

Anyone else with ideas at this point?? Please feel free to pitch in here.

Thanks,

John