Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 Sep 2013 23:26:34 -0400
From:         Larry Alofs <lalofs@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Expansion Tank Defect

I recently spent some time browsing at the local pick-n-pull, hoping to find a tank on some other vehicle that could be substituted for the vanagon pressure tank. Ideally it would be functionally the same, except having a "real radiator cap". I did not find such a tank yet. I did find some radiators with long necks that could be cut off and they had traditional metal caps with provision for pressure bleeding and draw back upon cooling. The problem would be grafting such a neck onto our tanks. Of course I know there are those among us who believe that the VW engineers were much smarter than we are and we shouldn't tamper with the OEM design. I just thought that I would throw the idea out there. Over in the world of Jeep Cherokees there are those who solved a similar problem using a substitute from a GM product.

Larry A.