Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 27 Sep 2013 09:01:16 -0700
From:         Andrew Martin <ramblinvan@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Expansion Tank Defect

I've observed this problem with two brand new expansion tanks... I first thought I'd somehow damaged the threads while trying to stop the cap from leaking but when I had the same issue with another new tank I decided the tanks were both defective. Another new tank from a different supplier (Van Café) confirmed that the first two tanks were somehow defective.

The first clue I should have noticed and given more weight was that the over flow nipple was pointing straight back (when tightened) instead of sideways towards the overflow tank (behind the license plate). The new tank has the pressure cap's nipple pointing in the right direction has been working perfectly for 4 months.

According to the Van Café, all of the available replacement expansion tanks are "aftermarket" as OEM tanks are not available. Perhaps VW's Vintage Parts division will take this part on in the future?

Rocky Mountain Westy does make very high quality Vanagon parts... I'm going to try one of their replacement tanks in the 88 Wolfsburg Weekender that I'll be working on next month.

Andrew