Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 27 Sep 2013 10:34:21 -0700
From:         neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: rebuilding front suspension
Comments: To: Mark McCulley <markmcculley@gmail.com>

I was in a similar position with my 2WD though it may have had more miles on it at the time. I know the Syncro is different, but in hindsight, the front end work wasn't rocket surgery save for the old style seized radius arm fasteners (you don't have these). That said, the Syncro is obviously more involved. There's some great pics on thesamba.com Check Hodakguy thread on his Syncro build here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=517384&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=hodakaguy&start=120

give or take a page or two. It's image intense but an awesome build overall IMO.

I would suggest that if you know for sure that some parts are original, and still in good shape, they might be worth keeping. Some aftermarket parts may not last as long. (see threads on upper ball joints and upper control arm bushings). The UCA bushings on my '81 are now squeaking and they have much less than 50K miles. If you replace the upper ball joints, have a look and see if they have enough grease. IIRC, the boot is held on by a small gauge metal (circlip? circle clip? clipular circle?) ring.

OTOH, it's a nice feeling knowing that the front end is "new".

Neil.

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 9:18 AM, Mark McCulley <markmcculley@gmail.com> wrote:

> With 187K on my '87 syncro ..... I've never worked on this part of the > van before and would like some advice on what exactly I should consider > replacing?

-- Neil n

Blog: tubaneil.blogspot.ca

'88 Westy http://tinyurl.com/c8rlw6p

'81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

Vanagon VAG Gas inline-VR Engine Swap Group:

http://tinyurl.com/d7gd5ej