Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 28 Sep 2013 19:34:31 -0700
From:         Stephen Grisanti <bike2vcu@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Second Westy - overview and impressions

Two weeks after bringing it home I finally had a chance to take a look at things on the white '91 Westy. Preparation for an already-planned trip and the trip itself prevented a close look before now.  It's in pretty good shape overall, with a rust patch above the right rear jack point, and it has a few small dents and scratches but seems solid. I've driven it around a little and it has pep, accelerates well and it shifts better than my '87 with one-third the miles of this one.  It has a good replacement tent with an odd window configuration; the single window has not the normal long inverted U zipper but a short straight one across the top of the flap and the sides merely velcro up to it. The upholstery needs cleaning but the carpeting will likely need to be replaced.  It's that shabby and stained.  Other stuff, in no particular order, will probably be addressed depending on ease or urgency. - The temp gauge is inop but there is an aftermarket one that looks to be accurate.  However, the red LED begins blinking about three minutes after a cold startup and blinks relentlessly. - There's a slight coolant drip from the center of the engine, probably from the oil cooler area. - The A/C is inop and there's no belt.  The PO said it never worked reliably, but I've had good luck messing with a system like that on the '87. - Tires have good tread but are not load rated for a Westy. - Stove works but sink pump does not.  Have not tried the fridge yet. - Power mirrors reflect and do not flop but do not power in any direction.  - There seems to be a miss when cold that evens out when it warms up.  I put in new NGK plugs that seem to help, but a compression check is in order.  It runs and drives well so it's hard to think this is serious, but you never know.  The GEX long block was installed by the PO's mechanic in TN about three years and 18K miles ago. Van currently has about 228K miles.  - The skylight is cracked and the lift mechanism is off the tracks. - Digital clock is dead, trip odo not working. - Passenger left armrest is drooping. There's other stuff but this is what I recall from the list I made.  Any and all recommendations welcome.  It's nice to know the work can be done in a heated garage, if I can ever make enough space to do that.  We're still not fully settled following the move so a project like could not have arrived at a more opportune time. Stephen