Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Sep 2013 15:30:36 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Temp II Sensor, Engine Hot.
Comments: To: neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

My digifant manual doesn't say anything about Temp Sensor II having no affect after engine is fully up to temp. I have never heard of anything like that, or ever had a reason to think that.

Is there a symptom or problemyou are working on ?

yes ....the impeller wheel on the water pump can be various types. I never recommend the paddle wheel style .. only the 'volcano' shaped one- plastic or metal.

on I4 engine conversion the water pump pulley diameter matters.. too large and flow is not enough. Have not had a problem with too small a pulley and too fast flow or cavitation.

water pump impeller face needs to be decent ..they can get corroded. Are you having some cooling system symptom that is a concern ?

Scott On 9/24/2013 2:22 PM, neil n wrote: > Hi all. > > This is for my Jetta swap, but may pertain to the WBX. > > The Digifant manual and archives suggest that when the engine is up to > temp, the temp II sensor has no effect on the ECU or other components. > But if the sensor is heated beyond 100ยบ C, will it have any effect on > the ECU or other component? i.e. change the engine timing? Or would it > reach 0 Ohms and the ECU just wouldn't see it? > > (under Motronic, if temp II sensor or its' wiring fails, the engine > management reverts to a preset temperature. I have no idea if an > overheated sensor would cause this to happen) > > For some time now, the coolant expansion bottle has leaked a very > small amount of coolant out of the vent. This likely happens when > climbing long steep grades on a hot day. May be a failing or bad cap. > Easy fix. Or, maybe the Jetta coolant pump is being pushed beyond its' > specs. There seem to be different pump vane designs. Except for the > long pipes, which are ok, the entire cooling system was brand new at > time of swap. > > Thanks > > Neil. >