Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 Sep 2013 13:26:45 -0400
From:         David Clarkson <dvdclarksn@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Front end workout-saved my Westy and our lives

Not intending to be overly dramatic here but I think that the work that I recently did may have saved my wife's, my dog's and my own life not to mention saving me from totalling our 90 westy. I had failed Va. state safety inspection for a premature, in my opinion, lower control arm bushing failure. I purchased new bushings and also decided that the van was way overdue on having the mushy, sagging springs replaced on all four corners. The Bilstein heavy duty shocks and struts only had about 15,000 miles on them and seemed to be performing well so they were adjusted to the new springs after their installation. I replaced the springs with the progressive design springs from one of our list vendors. About a month later I was traveling with my wife and dog in the car at about 55 mph (the posted speed limit) on a straight stretch of 2 lane highway (1 lane in each direction). All of the sudden out of the corner of my left eye I saw an SUV burst into the road about to t-bone me at a right angle from the left. I instinctively swerved to the right on the small bit of asphalt at the intersection and back onto the road all while never losing speed and ending up in front of this vehicle. It was a miracle that the van handled and responded the way that it did without rolling. I can only attribute this to the suspension that was recently replaced and properly adjusted (front struts). I was overcome with relief and anger that this person almost killed us but we did not wreck. It took all that I had not to pull over and confront this individual but decided I needed to be civil and abstain from road rage. I still should have called 911 and reported him in case he was somehow impaired. No, our vans were built long before antilock brakes, traction control systems and airbags; but when properly maintained systems like the suspension and tires can allow these vehicles to handle in a very nimble and predictable manner. Thank you nimble and safe Westfalia for keeping us safe. You shall soon be rewarded with body work, fresh paint and seals. Replace those worn suspension components folks it's not just a comfort measure!

David Clarkson Equipment Consultant Southern Automotive Garage Equipment sageautoequipment.com dvdclarksn@aol.com