Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2013, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 29 Sep 2013 19:04:20 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 1986 Westfalia with 16" tires
Comments: To: Max Wellhouse <dimwittedmoose@cfu.net>

Change your email settings to put your replies on top. Makes it easier for most of us. 48 psi up front is much more than needed for a tire that size. I would try 38 to 40 front and 48 rear. Get the tire-load inflation table from Continental and use that as a guide using the max axle weight.

Dennis

-----Original Message----- From: Max Wellhouse [mailto:dimwittedmoose@cfu.net] Sent: Saturday, September 28, 2013 11:15 PM To: Dennis Haynes Cc: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: 1986 Westfalia with 16" tires

On 9/28/2013 9:44 PM, Dennis Haynes wrote: > So what pressure are you running them at? Maybe too much for the load. > That tire offers little for ride or handling. Basic straight line down > highway tire. That tire is also much taller than the 215-60. The > 225-60 will be shorter and wider eliminating the rub. > > Dennis > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On > Behalf Of Max Wellhouse > Sent: Saturday, September 28, 2013 9:34 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: 1986 Westfalia with 16" tires > > On 9/28/2013 6:20 PM, Dennis Haynes wrote: >> That size tire is only slightly taller-wider than stock. Should not >> be an issue at all if the wheel offset is acceptable. You do need to >> be aware of the load capacity. There are very few tires in this size >> with the > XL rating. >> A standard tire in this size has a load index of only 95, (1,521 lbs.). >> After de-rating for light truck this is a marginal fitment. The XL >> rating in this size gets you to a 99 load index, (1,709 lbs.). >> Hopefully when they installed the lower springs they also changed the >> bump stops at the top of the shocks. If not you may not have >> sufficient suspension travel for rough roads. Maintaining caster and > camber alignment sometimes becomes an issue. >> Next tire change consider the 225/60-16. That slight change ups the >> load rating considerably and gets you onto a common tire size >> including a lot of XL offerings. >> >> Dennis >> >> >> -----Original Message----- >> From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On >> Behalf Of Alain Thibault >> Sent: Saturday, September 28, 2013 6:54 PM >> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >> Subject: 1986 Westfalia with 16" tires >> >> Allo >> The van that I am looking to buy ( (1986 Vanagon westy) comes with >> 215-60-16 tires. Looks pretty cool... The van has been lowered with >> shorter springs from Van Cafe and adjustable Koni shocks were >> installed. The owner says that with the combination of shorter >> springs and Koni shocks the highway handling has improved >> dramatically and keeping up with traffic through the corners is no >> problem and brake dive is almost nonexistent. I am wondering however >> if there would be any rubbing issues with such a setting...he says no >> but I have doubts as I have never seen 16" tires on a Vanagon...what would you guys say? >> Thanks >> Alain >> >> Sent from my iPad 2 > My Mercedes Wheels(98-02 CLK Alloys) and 215/65/16 Continental Vanco > II's do fine if you lke riding in a lumber truck. Had to add longer > front studs but the backs were fine. If I have the van totally loaded > with all my flea market tool sale stuff, the van will ride low enough > that tire rub is an issue on a hard bump during a turn or climbing up, > but with that much weight, it rides much better wit htose mega load > tires. They're like 108's for load rating, but the regular Vanco tire is borderline on the load cap. > Just put a hole in one of the side walls last week. Tire Rack is > getting > 156 bucks for a new one plus $26 to ship it. Really need to decide > what my next set of tires will be pretty soon...... > > > YMMV > > DM&FS 48PSI front and back