Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2013, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 30 Sep 2013 15:09:34 -0400
From:         TJ Hemrick <x53gunner@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Wiper motor no wipey

All, I've had a bad week and must have angered the "Bosch Gods" last Monday when I brought one of my many (three) POS rebuilt starters to an Alternator/Starter repair shop. The guy seemed pleasant enough but first words out of his mouth when I handed him the starter was, "Poor design with the gear out dere like dat" (spelled like it was spoken). Shrugging that off, I related that I heard this place could rebuild one of these a LOT better than just buying another rebuild. I figured what the hell, I've had bad luck getting Bosch rebuilds from FLAPS so I was hoping for the best. Then he told me "You can NOT get a new Bosch for less than $350 from *anyone. *What he said next blew me away, "I don't really feel like wurkin' on it" and he handed it back to me. Well, at least he was upfront and honest even if I was SMH. Saturday, while driving the kids back from golf practice, I yelling to them, repeatedly, "What's that smell? What is that smell? Smells like something burning or melting, like plastic or something". We get home and I work my way around till I get to the back and eventually find my way to the rear wiper motor (separate post on that misadventure) and that thing is SMOKED. It smelled for a week of burnt wiring and melted motor guts. Horrible smell. This morning, no smells but I go to clear the windshield and no wipers. NONE. I wiggle the stalk every which way and some not in the owners manual and get nothing. Fuses check good. I grab TWO spare relays. No change. I say "#$$$% @%%##&&* #^%($$##$%$$$$$$$$$" (also spelled like it was spoken!)

Anyone got any thoughts before I pull the stalk out and swap it or worse yet, start going for the wiper motor? The thought of pulling the dash has suddenly motivated me to put that spare motor on the shop floor into my Syncro, drive shaft cages and all...

Thanks,

TJ 87 Syncro 87 Wofsburg