Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2013, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 28 Sep 2013 21:07:13 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Passed two cars today...
Comments: To: "Vanagons and VW Buses (Bays) with VW inline gas engines"
          <vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines@googlegroups.com>

...OK, sounds sort of lame, but I got to thinking later...I didn't even worry or downshift or anything. Cruising along the Lewis and Clark Hwy (SR 14 on the Washington side) heading out to catch a bit of windsurfing in my inline VW powered tin top with westie interior...and I come up behind a car doing about 55, going uphill. 2 lane highway with fairly limited passing sections in the part I was driving...No Problem. I just checked the oncoming and the mirrors then pushed down on the go pedal and ....accelerated up to about 70. Same on the way home...climbing a pretty steep section and I encountered an older Honda Hybrid...the weird looking one...who was slowing up a winding steep hill with, of course, the normal Gorge headwind further killing his speed...down to about 45 when we got to the straight upper section of the climb...again, push down, speed up, go around....no problemo.....

People always say Vanagons are slow and dangerously underpowered..Not mine, it works just like a Real Car...yet it has room inside for all three sailboards, 5 sails, wetsuits and I can still brew up a cup of coffee, take a nap or change without grossing out the public. Love the vanagons.