Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 4 Oct 2013 18:41:33 -0700
From:         Phil Zimmerman <philzimm1@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Re: Asymmetric two post lift

Thanks for the update, John in the forest. Think I follow the description of your asymmetrical two-post lift.

> Be that as it may, I can't for the life of me > figure out why the manufacturer ( Worth ) > would tell me that I cant 'back' in ?? > They said it would only work if it was a drive through type of situation.

My word, conventional thinking. Meaning, front engined vehicles.. The Vanagon is close to or at a 50:50 weight balance, front to rear. So… what Worth is saying does not appear to take into account a Vw Vanagon's close to a 50:50 weight balance. One of many challenges, driving an old unconventional vehicle.

Good discussion all around. Hope your concrete is of minimum psi and of the required thickness.. or more!

Scott has a point with doing infinite "crunches" each day one works on their Vanagon from a creeper. Personally, I have seen the benefit of this on the perpetual growing midsection of my own anatomy:-( My experience says. I work from a lift but off an adjustable (up/down) stool on castors. Keeps the Van lower on the lift and relieves my ol' back muscles and vertebra from the stains of standing while working. This tripod stance, working off a stool, relieves much of the strain that a bipedal stance suffers.. Plus, I love shooting across the concrete to my roll-a-way for another tool, while remaining seated on the stool..:-)

All the best while the Lift installation continues.. Congratulations on 65. Smelling like fruit sure seems better than some of the alternatives..

Pz Came out from under my rock for awhile. -----

Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2013 16:24:50 -0700 Reply-To: "John C..." <oregonejohn@GMAIL.COM Thanks everyone for your input. I've been out in the shop working on setting it up. ---snip------ best, John C... (out in the forest of) Yacolt, WA