Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 6 Oct 2013 13:27:27 -0700
From:         David M <covrambles@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Headlamps, adjusters and connecting wires

Replacing my headlamp I managed to break all the adjusters on the headlamp and high-beam lamp. Can someone explain to me why the screws for the high-beam unit wont screw all the way out? Is there any way to get them out? I want to re-use the plastic mounting thing but need to get the screw out so I can put a washer and spring on each screw (my new adjuster design). I don't want to remove the plastic things as if I do, I know they will break. Also, removing the headlamp, I broke the bulb socket. I have a new socket and the wires all trimmed and ready to connect the new socket... but how do I join the bare wires together? The new socket came with 3 connectors but no instructions on how to use. The holes are too small for the fat wires on the van. I bought some 3M snap-in connectors on which the wire holes are bigger but cannot figure out how the wires attach to them. I threaded the wires in and tried to clamp them in with pliers with all the force I could muster but the wires still slide out. Do I need to buy a special tool to use these? Thanks for any help.

I was hoping to get this job done this weekend but its eating up my time.

-David ('87 Wolfsburg)