Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Oct 2013 15:35:49 -0400
From:         Jim Akiba <syncrolist@BOSTIG.COM>
Subject:      Re: 2.2 into a 1.9 case
Comments: To: Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@gmail.com>

I like that GoWesty gives stats on their engines failures, it is really an important bit of info for customers.

"There are inherent risks in undertaking what is already the complicated task of overhauling a VW waterboxer engine—even in the "stock," original form. VW's own waterboxer overhaul program in Canada ended miserably with an overall failure rate of close to 50%. By contrast, only around 5% of GoWesty-built engines have experienced some sort of issue—which is stellar by comparison. However, when you are talking about total engines built in the thousands, even a relatively small percentage of issues produces some extremely unhappy and loud people, many of whom feel the need to spread the bad news. The other 95% with no engine issues whatsoever are mostly... silent. Such is human nature, right?"

http://www.gowesty.com/library_article.php?id=1452

Jim

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 5:39 PM, Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@gmail.com> wrote: > GoWesty warrants their 2200 1.9 case engine for 48,000 miles or 48 months. > You should be able to do at least as well, and keep us posted. Follow their > guidelines as well: http://www.gowesty.com/library_article.php?id=860 > > Stuart > '85 Westy, considering engine options while the 1.9 still runs! > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > George Laubach > Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 4:49 AM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: 2.2 into a 1.9 case > > Thanks for the catch, Scott. Not drive shaft, I should have stated crank > shaft....I appreciate correct verbiage as well. As they say in the birding > world, you're only as good as your last mis-identified bird.... > > Re coolant changes and radiator, new rad 4,000 miles ago (10 months) and new > coolant since May, and new "half pipes" from TK. I can imagine that the > engine may tax the cooling system a bit more (needle right over LED and > steady). I run Valvoline 20W 50 and premium gas. > > Has anyone else on the list done this conversion? I'm kind of interested in > hearing any counterpoints to doing this conversion; not necessarily what > would be a better motor option, but why this is not a good idea. Total > engine investment (engine parts and labor) = $2500. > > Skip > > Sent from my iPad > > On Jul 24, 2012, at 10:34 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans > <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > >> I wouldn't worry about the studs in a waterboxer ( other than >> corrosion from lack of coolant changes getting to them.) >> >> sure, air-cooled VW's had chronic case stud problems, but never in a > waterboxer that I have heard of. >> >> Not sure what is meant by a 'driveshaft' in an 84 Westy. It's not AWD or > anything. >> rear axles ? >> camshaft ? >> >> The heat load on the cooling system will be more than that produced by > tired 1.9 that came out of course. >> If the radiator is original , you may think about that. >> >> Just be nice to it and if it's going to hang together it probably will. >> 1,000 miles without any real engine issues is a good sign. >> >> >> >> >> On 7/24/2012 7:35 PM, George Laubach wrote: >>> Interesting, so extra stress on the head studs. I reused the heads (and > studs), "refurbished" by the machine shop. >>> >>> Sent from my iPad >>> >>> On Jul 24, 2012, at 9:25 PM, "Tom Hargrave" <thargrav@hiwaay.net> wrote: >>> >>>> I don't know about the water cooled engines but pushing a set of air >>>> cooled cases could make the studs that fasten the cylinders & heads >>>> to the cases strip. We used to install a set of "case savers" in >>>> anything that made horsepower. >>>> >>>> Thanks, Tom Hargrave >>>> www.stir-plate.com >>>> www.towercooler.com >>>> www.kegkits.com >>>> www.grow-sun.com >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> -----Original Message----- >>>> From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM] On >>>> Behalf Of George Laubach >>>> Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2012 8:59 PM >>>> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >>>> Subject: 2.2 into a 1.9 case >>>> >>>> Now that I've driven subject for 1,000 miles or so with >>>> satisfaction, learning as I go about timing, rocker arm adjustment, >>>> compression, and brake, clutch, and coolant bleeding, etc., etc., >>>> etc., I was curious about any potential hazards that I should be >>>> paranoid about as it relates to this arrangement of a 2200cc >>>> piston/cylinder into a 1.9L case ('84 Westy) (longest sentence I've >>>> ever written). Along with the new P/C's I also installed new > driveshaft, connecting rods and cam (and new lifters). >>>> >>>> What might your wisdom conject? What might I worry about? I was >>>> thinking things like, well, the air flow, fuel injection, and >>>> cooling system was designed for a 1.9, but now is "managing" a 2.2L >>>> system. Maybe the larger system puts an extra strain on the >>>> components? I've seen no outward symptoms that I can correlate to an > "imbalance". >>>> >>>> So, care to wonder, perhaps with more wisdom or experience than this >>>> writer/driver? >>>> >>>> Skip >>>> >>>> ----- >>>> No virus found in this message. >>>> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com >>>> Version: 10.0.1382 / Virus Database: 2437/5152 - Release Date: >>>> 07/24/12 >>>> >>