Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 12 Oct 2013 17:18:00 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: VLVC - Battery experience with Walmart-Lengthy Walmart
              service  experience.
Comments: To: Tom Hargrave <thargrav@HIWAAY.NET>

A few years ago my son and I were down in Florida at my Mom's place. We left her place on a Saturday afternoon planning to mostly drive through the night until I couldn't and finish the trip home on Sunday. It is 1,200 miles from mom's place to my place.

We stopped at a Flying J near Jacksonville for fuel and I always get some snacks. Right after we pulled back onto the highway the van had some real bad vibrations. I suspected a tire or wheel bearing. I stopped a few times but could not find the problem. I couldn't continue home this way so I set out to do something.

Just north of Jacksonville I decided to try using Walmart to find my problem. I pulled in and requested the $29.95 or whatever rotate and balance all 4 tires.

Being a Syncro they had a heck of a time lifting it as they only had those floor lifts. I gave some direction and using the lift and a jack they were able to get the 4 wheels off the ground. They put a very nice older mechanic on the case. Anyway, he pulled off the 4 tires, went to balance them and on the 3rd one we found the problem. The belts were separating and there was a bulge in the tread. The mechanic was apologetic that I needed a tire. I was relieved. No problem. Get out the spare. Oh, the jack in the front was in the way. Let the van down, get out the tire. Hey this tire is flat! Yes I know! It is deflated so it can fit in the tray. Inflate it to 42 psi please and balance it also. "OK" he says. Now comes the fun part. He puts the 4 tires on, tightens them gently with the impact wrench, then toques them down with a torque wrench. Then a supervisor comes out and checks them again and signs off on some form. Then they take the van and drive it around the parking lot, do a few figure 8's and checks all the nuts one final time. I was impressed.

Now all of this took almost 2 hours. I go up to the register fully expecting to pay dearly for this work. They hand me the bill. I'm in shock! Rotate and balance 4 tires, $29.95 plus whatever the tax was. So super relieved that the problem was found and I got off so cheap I went to give the mechanic a tip. He says "sorry, I am not allowed to take anything".

So I headed home with no further issues. Bring the tire to the Goodyear dealer. They gave me almost 1/2 credit towards the replacement tire.

Dennis

I have no issue with someone switching from baking rolls to changing oil. Changing oil does not take much skill, changing oil takes attention to detail.

My issue with Walmart doing auto service is their 'apparent' lack of focus on the business. Buy a stale loaf of bread and you just return it & get your $2.00 back. Over torque wheel nuts, not draining oil during an oil change and stripping the oil drain plug & not telling me all have far reaching consequences!

Thanks, Tom Hargrave www.kegkits.com www.stir-plate.com www.towercooler.com www.grow-sun.com www.raspberryproject.com