Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 Oct 2013 12:44:48 -0600
From:         Eric Wunrow <VW@ERICWUNROW.COM>
Subject:      Re: Mounting Solar Panel on a Westy
Comments: To: "kenneth wilford (Van-Again)" <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>

I'm new to Westys, but considered the best solar route to go for some

time.

I went with a portable, a 120 watt panel from Zamp Solar in Bend, Oregon. Fabulous knowledge base there in addition to great craftsmanship. Pricier than the imports of questionable quality, and comes with a 25 year warranty. It folds into a ballistic case at about 20x40 inches and fits perfectly behind the passenger seat and in front of our cooler.

Why do a portable? 1). You don't need a panel on the roof for charging your house battery on the road, the alternator does that for you; 2). Solid-mount panels cannot be adjusted to be square to the sun (except for at Noon on the Equator), severely limiting power gather; 3). Takes up space for other things you might want on the roof, whether now or later — like cargo boxes — while adding extra weight and a slightly higher center of gravity; 4). Out of constant sun, rain, dust, hail, slippery fingers, etc. — factors which are hard on anything, as we all know; 5). Here's the Big One... does anyone want to park in the sun in the

summer?

I believe that GoWesty now carries the Zamp panels, and they do their

homework.

EW Eric Wunrow Pictures 85 S Union Blvd, #Q123 Lakewood, CO 80228

303. 988. 8717 EricWunrow.com (soon!)