Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 13 Oct 2013 19:37:27 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Coolant expire date
Comments: To: Scott Daniel <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

Well, one dealer could have it and another not. I have read that the blue stuff (called G-11) is being discontinued.

One can get phosphate free coolants in other brands. Zerex for one has one, as does Prestone. Most of the long life coolants are. I wonder about the claim that is made that we don't need to avoid phosphate containing anti-freezes in the U.S., only in Europe, with harder water. Water in the plains states is pretty hard. Anyway, distilled water is the antithesis of hard. It is cheap. But I go with the phosphate free stuff. mcneely

---- Scott Daniel <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > thanks for the correction Dave. > I swear my vw dealer only had the pink a while back, or that's what they > said anyway. > > > On 10/13/2013 1:48 PM, Dave Mcneely wrote: > > Scott, VW does have the blue coolant still. VW also has a pink coolant. I have bought the blue from my local VW dealer within the past year. mcneely > > > > ---- Scott Daniel <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > >> Thanks for posting that link. > >> on their FAQ's the address shelf life at the top of the list. > >> > >> noteworthy ..in the next FAQ the talk about the need for phosphate free > >> a-frz.And ..they say with Eruopean water ..yes.. > >> withour less hard water ...phosphate-free is not that important or even > >> needed. > >> People that are concerned about that can use distilled water . > >> Personally, I never have .. > >> I've used mainly good a-frzin a 50-50 mix with tap water. And probably > >> in as many at 5,000, or more, cars over the years, and vanagons. > >> > >> Lately ....noticiing what it says on a bottle of Water Wetter ... > >> I see that a weaker coolant mixture than 50-50 removes heat better > >> ...and since 50-50 protects agaisnt freezing to 32 below zero F ...most > >> of us don't need that much protection against freezing. > >> > >> I probably us 40 % coolant, the rest good clean tap water (West coast ) > >> with water wetter added. > >> > >> and make sure the thing runs up to temp ! > >> If the temp gauge does not get up to the middle ....get a good new > >> german thermostat in there. > >> > >> generally I regard Prestone Extended Life a-frz as one of the better ones. > >> > >> I have never found a reason to use the VW Blue, and very expensive, stuff.. > >> and it's not even blue anymore if you ask for some at a VW dealer. They > >> sell a reddish 'mixes with anything ' coolant now I believe .. > >> and they charge a lot for it too. > >> > >> As always ..I think Regular Care and Attention .. > >> and keeping things working right is far, far more important than the > >> actual brand or type of products used. > >> It's not weakness of product used, oil , coolant or whateverthat is > >> the real issue ..it's plain old abuse and neglect and poor workmanship > >> that's the real issue in almost all cases. > >> > >> And in 25+ year old vanagons ..you never get all the old coolant out > >> anyway .. > >> so even once a year is not too often to change the coolant. It does > >> deteriorte ...like most things do. > >> > >> scott > >> > >> > >> On 10/13/2013 12:35 PM, Dave Mcneely wrote: > >>> ---- Alain Thibault <alainthibault@TELUS.NET> wrote: > >>>> Crazy question...i have a brand new gallon (4liters) of never used coolant but it is about 12 years old. Is it still good to use? > >>>> > >>>> Sent from my iPad 2 > >>> Here is one manufacturer's answer: > >>> > >>> http://prestone.com/learn_more/frequently_asked_questions#faq-row-465 > >>> > >>> I don't know if I would take all I see here for the gospel, but at least for Prestone coolant, I think you are safe. Others may have different chemical additives, so you might want to check with them. > >>> > >>> -- > >>> David McNeely > >>> > > -- > > David McNeely > > >

-- David McNeely