Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 Oct 2013 17:00:30 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Mounting Solar Panel on a Westy

For another application (travel trailer)..I have a 150w panel that has it's own 'case' for transport. I made a 'box' from 1/4" plywood with a piano hinge. I'll try to explain it, simple in reality but a bit tough to describe. Handy as heck to carry around.

You cut the plywood into two pieces, each slightly larger than the panel's overall dimension.. You mount a border around one of the pieces of ply...the border is 1X pine in my application and it is sized to the thickness of the solar panel. Ok, so you could just drop the panel into the box shape and then fasten the second sheet on and you would have it enclosed like in a box...but here's the trick..

You mount one end of the 'box' right to an edge of the panel with a piano hinge or whatever...Screw it onto the aluminum extrusion that surrounds the glass/plastic. Then, opposite that hinge you add the second part (the other edge) of the Box...with another set of hinges....Think of a Book Jacket for a sort of idea.... To deploy the panel, you open the 'box', then scoot the panel itself across one of the 'lids' until you have an equilateral triangle. You fix the solar panel to the lid, forming a triangle holding it open at a 120 degree angle at all three edges.....The front is the panel, the back is the plywood edged-with-pine box and the base is the plywood lid...

.I put a rock or two 'inside" on the leg of the plywood/panel triangle that is on the ground, to keep it stable in the frequent gale force winds I often encounter in MY camping...When ready to travel you just 'close up the book" and you have the whole works contained in a flat box just slightly thicker than the panel, but no worries about something poking or breaking the glass/plastic. I put a handy webbing handle on the box to carry it around like an art portfolio or something.... I don't have any pictures anywhere, sorry

Fixed panel mounting on the van?...as mentioned, you don't want to limit yourself to always parking in the sun. if you are moving, the alternator does a pretty good job with the charge... I see urban campers with their panels on the roof...I guess if you just do short drives to move around a city and park on the streets where ever you can, that roof mount would be great for a lot of electrical draw with short driving time...But if you are doing an hour or two to get to a camping spot or traveling on vacation, your alternator will have you charged up ....

Solar is THE way to go...generators are selfish in that they impose your charging noise on everyone within ear shot...and who wants to listen to a generator...except the guy/gal who's running it and tells himself..."I'm not +really+ making any noise...you can barely hear this one, it's really quiet"....BS! Generators all make noise. Solar panels make no noise. No noise when you are in a quiet spot is better and your neighbors will appreciate it.