Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Oct 2013 17:25:52 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Synthetic oil and winter storage
Comments: To: Eric Caron <ecaron1@COMCAST.NET>

Eric, Sorry for the delayed response. If you are planning to somehow use the van at all during the winter there is little need to anything special. I often have vans sit for weeks and with healthy batteries there is no problem. You do have to be aware of battery condition if you have things like radios or alarms that drain them. Both my Audi and 600SEL can take the battery down in two to three weeks to the point of needing a jump. The stock Vanagon doesn't have this issue.

As for oil, the Waterboxer can and does benefit from synthetics. Particularly, they can function at much lower temperatures than there viscosity rating indicates. For example a normal 20w-50 become very heavy at temperatures below freezing the 15w-50 synthetic has no problem going to the tens or even single digits. I once did trip and had to do cold start at -4F with the 15w-50 Mobil 1. I think the pour point of that is still about -30F. As for the concept that the waterboxer is a "loose" engine when it comes to things mechanical, excess clearance on one side means insufficient clearance and increased load on the other side. This is why these engine need higher viscosity oils. Also, the Waterboxer runs most of the time under load and at higher RPM than most engines. The main reason these engines need oil changes are the breakdown of the oil itself. Oil analysis does show the nitration and oxidation both due mostly to higher ring temperatures. Again the synthetics shine here.

Your oil consumption is normal or even better ten most.

Based on you use and climate I would suggest the M1, 15w-50 all year and an annual oil change will suffice. Treat to a really good filter. I am now using the M1-205.

Dennis