Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Oct 2013 15:55:57 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: off with her heads
Comments: To: Tom Carchrae <tom@CARCHRAE.NET>

HI Dave.. I was thinking ...with propane on the head it might take a pretty long time to heat very much ...even 20 minutes carefully.

also ...try some Freeze type removal juice. mine is CRC brand 'Freeze Off' I've had great luck with that stuff a few times.

Scott

On 10/16/2013 8:31 PM, Tom Carchrae wrote: > Thanks Scott. I'll try moving the piston around tomorrow. I have been > dousing it with a can of un-sticker to no avail.... yet. I don't have a > propane torch yet, but I believe they are pretty cheap. > > I have left the distributor on there. I presume that is important because > of timing? > > Tom > > > > > On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 6:22 PM, Scott Daniel <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>wrote: > >> hi John.. >> I do them with the piston down, away from the cylinder head. >> >> it's ok to turn the engine .. >> one warning..always keep the distributor in the block when turning the >> engine over by hand. >> >> Even a propane torch would be better than nothing. >> I'd take the head to ...let's see.. >> it runs up to 200 F when things are good n' warm in the cooling system. >> >> I wouldn't be afraid to take the whole head up to 250 F measured with an >> IR temp gun. >> That could/should have quite an affect. >> >> nix on the boiling water ..if just poring it over, almost no affect, >> unless you are outdoors and it's below zero. >> >> defenitely lower the piston in the barrel. >> just don't pull the barrel off the piston. >> you only need to get the barrel like 1/2 inch out .. >> then move piston back up to make more sure you don't pull the barrel off >> the head. >> >> you'll get it ! >> and you're spraying penetrating oil liberally like every 4 hours, for days >> on end ? >> >> Scott >> >> >> On 10/16/2013 4:37 PM, Tom Carchrae wrote: >> >> On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 12:17 PM, Tom Carchrae <tom@carchrae.net> <tom@carchrae.net> wrote: >> >> >> Enjoying the job so far. We'll see, I may be cursing a bit more when I am >> re-assembling. >> >> >> I guess it is sort of reassuring that I posted my first head offing email >> just 10 days ago. I guess I was asking for it with the 'enjoying the job' >> comment. 3 cylinders off, no problem... >> >> It seems now like it has been 10 years as I have been making very little >> progress. I go out, pry, tap, bang, shout, and scrape the skin off my >> fingers, but no, that cylinder sleeve is well jammed into that head. If >> this was a beheading, it is the very messy amateur sort; nothing short of >> gruesome. >> >> The cylinder in question has the piston quite close to the head, which >> gives me a lot more wiggle room. After fighting with it and having the nuts >> all still on (at the end of their threads) I removed the nuts and pulled it >> out further. Still no luck. >> >> I am yet to try heat. I guess this will be the next attack. I guess that >> pouring boiling water on it won't help? Or just go straight for propane >> heat (I can see burns now, as well as cuts on my hands). That and more >> walloping, although so far this seems to be purely for my mental well >> being. >> >> One though I had was that I may have pried too much on the inside, so maybe >> it is not coming off evenly making it more stuck. Another thought is that >> piston being out so far in that sleeve makes the whallops less effective. >> >> Anyway, mostly, I just came to moan and bemuse. Awoooooo. >> >> Tom >> >> >> >>