Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 15 Oct 2013 12:18:40 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Craiglist Find -- 85 VW Vanagon GL W/ Subaru 6 Conversion -
              $12500 (Decat...
Comments: To: JordanVw@AOL.COM

On the other hand... a tin top vanagon is a much tighter and quieter rig overall , than any vanagon with a Westy top. Westy top aerodynamics are not very good either ....the van 'noodles' a bit at about 70 mph.

the very best I've found..for a good solid body ..besides a full tintop passenger van .. is an Adventurewagon with I am pretty sure the top with the best aerodyamics of any high top vanagon .. I just love mine. It's absolutely the quiestest vanagon I have ever driven by far.. the aero of the top is superb ... goes through the air easily ... smaller top area means less turbulence across the flat top, which has to be quite signficant in a westy top .. and that pointy back end of the AW top ......gives a slight arrow affect and helps with directional stability.

85 is the 'first good year' due to the better sliding door. They didn't finish making all the changes yet ..say the fuse box - the better one starts in 86 . And 87 is the first year that has all the main changes that VW did in Vanagons...better outside mirrors available , better AC and lots of things. 85's are fine though. I'm upgrading my 85 AW to 86 front suspension and brakes. I expect a slight improvement in braking.. not that I ever brake much anyway.

and I love my hardtop passenger vans just fine, all 6 of them.

and ...I finally have sold my near showroom condition Sunroof 82 Diesel Vanagon .. and next one to sell is my 83 5-speed Sunroof Diesel vanagon .. working on a fully rebuilt 1.6 TD engine and engine conversion for it right now. I had a whole westy poptop set up ... I'm so glad I sold it though ..saved me a ton of work ! ..and I really don't think the 87 white GL I had it planned for would be an actually better driving/handling vehicle with that top on it.

scott

On 10/15/2013 8:52 AM, JordanVw@AOL.COM wrote: > nice engine swap.. But why on earth would anyone want to dump that kind > of money and time into a basic lowly 2wd '85 GL 7passenger vangon is beyond > me though. it doesn't even have a weekender interior. i hate to say it but > he will have a hard time getting what he is asking.. if it were a westy, > it would be a awesome deal and a no brainer. > > put a poptop and a westy interior in it.. then i can see it making sense.. > > just being realistic here..and y'all know im right!!. (and this is even > coming from a non- camper person! :) > > > > > In a message dated 10/15/2013 10:29:42 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, > jonbergga@GMAIL.COM writes: > > Not mine, but I wish it were.... > > > http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/4126647958.html > > > > <http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/4126647958.html> >