Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 19 Oct 2013 15:50:29 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: What IS Vanagon Syndrome, exactly?
Comments: To: Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA>

Possible I suppose. First time I've heard this explanation.

One way for a waterboxer owner to test for it .. if they are getting fairly consistent VS... it to run with just the bare AFM for a while.. that'll change the air intake dynamics for sure. If that made VS go away ...then yes it could be.

I always read it was electronic ..

On 10/18/2013 7:14 PM, Alistair Bell wrote: > I had heard of an explanation for the syndrome, I don't know how true it is. Story goes that sometimes, under the right conditions, the airflow through the afm was such that it caused the arm vane to oscillate and result in a confusing signal to the computer. The capacitor fix was meant to dampen those signals. > > If this explanation was true, then one might expect different air intake set-ups to differ in the frequency of the syndrome. I never have experienced it with either an I4 digifant in my vanagon (totally non stock air intake before afm) or in my wbx syncro with stock air intake (not with fixed harness) > > Alistair > > > >> On Oct 18, 2013, at 2:12 PM, mark drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET> wrote: >> >> I have pulled a lot of the VW dealer syndrome harnesses from Jettas and >> Golfs with Digifant at the junkyards so certainly those cars had issues >> and somebody thought that was a solution. >> >> Improved seat of the pants running after unplugging the O2 sensor >> doesn't always prove the O2 sensor should be replaced. There are many >> other problems that can be masked when the ECU stops tying to correct >> the exhaust reading it gets from the O2 sensor. You could just be >> shooting the messenger. My car alarm used to go off every night after >> closing time at the bar down the street. Unhooking the alarm kept it >> from waking me up but that didn't mean I could sleep soundly. >> >> Mark >> >> Daniel O Stevens wrote: >>> Don, I don't believe the Digifant I4s get Vanazgon syndrome.. >>> But can get a very similar symptom if/when the O2 fails to read/adjust properly. >>> And you get severe bucking.. in mine I unplugged the O2 and that set it into rich mode and no more bucking and no real driveability issues outside a slight increase in fuel consumption. >>> >>> So with a 1.8l I4 van that bucks try to disconnect the O2 wire before jumping to any conclusions. >>> If it stops the symptom, then that's in need of replacement. >>> >>> Dan in NY >>> >>> >>> >>> Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 07:44:34 -0700 >>> From: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM> >>> Subject: What IS Vanagon Syndrome, exactly? >>> >>> Like the subject says. I just saw a few posts about a Digifant inline >>> VW powered vanagon traveling the southwest, like I soon will be doing >>> again... He says he's having engine cutting-out problems and someone >>> suggested he is experiencing "Vanagon Syndrome".. I've seen this mentioned often before, but it got my attention this time, since this fellow traveler >>> seems to be driving a similar Vangaon to mine. I 'assumed' us inline >>> drivers were immune from Vanagon Syndrome...but that may not be the case? >>> >>>