Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 20 Oct 2013 08:12:07 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Camper van
Comments: To: Scott Daniel <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

I, too, have done multiple home-made conversions. I was planning on building my own interior in my 84 tin top Vanagon till I saw a complete Westie interior on Craigs List in a nearby town for just $200..I realized the wood and fixtures alone, to build my own camper, would have cost at least that much. And the Westie interior was already fit and came with all the brackets and hardware to mount it using existing (for the most part) factory mounting points. It is quite time-consuming to build a van (or boat) interior, especially one with the professional-looking fit that the Westfalias have. They're hard to beat.

As mentioned in the ad, however, Vanagons have their limitations as a base vehicle...They're becoming quite expensive to buy lately, they're a bit down on power when stock and somewhat maintenance-intensive. While that Aerostar looks a bit 'over-done' with the exterior mods for aerodynamics and the paint, I have seen some very nice conversion vans on the 'small van' platform...often with a Country Homes-style pop top.

The GM Safari/Astro AWD vans interest me a lot and can be found very frequently for under $1000. With a robust chassis and strong motors, these compare favorably with Syncros and have somewhat of a cult following, too. There are locking diffs available for these, limited slips, etc etc... and they are rated to tow large loads with a 6cyl GM motor.

The older Toyota Previas are also interesting. These are Rear or AWD, available with a supercharger in some years and almost as unique looking as a Vanagon...but the Previa is not able to tow much more than a Vanagon...Cheap, though and a Toyota for dependable.

Since I am again a working stiff (blue collar) and unlikely to find a Subie-Syncro or a supercharged Bostig that I can afford, my next van will likely be one of the above, probably the GM product because I do want a vehicle that will tow a substantial trailer and I do need 4wd for the shoulder seasons.

A little pop top for standing room, a ladder rack for some cargo boxes and a bit of cabinetry inside and it won't be a VW, but it might do the job.