Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 24 Oct 2013 21:34:43 -0500
From:         Cliff Ober <cdober@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 84 Vanagon GL, SW Houston area

As an addendum to my earlier post:

Included with the 84 GL is a pair of new brake rotors, new front wheel bearings, and components for the AC system. The engine mounted AC parts and the condenser from the front were removed (in working condition) when the engine rebuild was done; they have been stored and are present with the vehicle.

Cliff

On 10/24/2013 6:27 AM, Cliff Ober wrote: > Hello all, it's been quite a number of years since I spent any time here > (mostly lurking) but I do still see names I recognize ... > > As noted in the subject line, I have an '84 GL (plain old Vanagon) I'd > like to sell. I bought it new and enjoyed it immensely for quite a > number of years, many trips between Houston and Canada, and lots of > miles here in Texas. About ten years ago, at around 185k, I did a > complete engine rebuild, triggered by the need to replace a head. That > led to a couple of broken studs and the need to have them removed via > EDM, and thus replace all the usual stuff when you tear down an engine. > After re-assembly everything was pretty good, but with the increasing > frequency of problems with an aging vehicle we recognized that we needed > reliable transportation for day-to-day activities and we bought a new > car ( a Taurus, cheap but what a piece of crap). > > The Vanagon got less and less use, we bought a new Odyssey, and the > Vanagon mostly sat. I run it occasionally, but it hasn't been on the > road in a very long time. It needs stuff - a muffler, brake work (too > much sitting), a battery, possibly some AFM work (maybe the capacitor > mod). Those are what I know about and it wouldn't surprise me if there's > some other age related stuff. The engine and transaxle are good, I don't > think there's even 10K on the rebuild. The body isn't too bad, with a > little rust around the front window corners and the need for new weather > seals on the side windows, the front windshield has a long crack, and I > imagine the tires have deteriorated a bit from age. The interior is > pretty good, with only a very small hole where a spring has broken in > the driver's seat. > > I know the engine and transaxle have some value, especially with the low > miles on the rebuild. I'd love to see someone take an interest in > putting this thing back on the road, but if it's only good for parts, so > be it. I think it's worth at least $1500 for that, so if someone is > interested, please contact me at: > > cdober@gmail.com > > I'd hate to call the scrap dealers to haul it away... > > Thanks for taking the time to read this far, > > Cliff Ober >