Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 26 Oct 2013 02:23:21 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: oil change interval for non-wbx setups
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

Even with frequent oil changes an oil analysis can be beneficial. For the water boxer one thing I learned is that you should address the seals under the cylinders whenever the heads are pulled. It takes a lot of antifreeze in the coolant before it becomes visible but very small amounts can be hazardous to bearings. You can also find out if your air filter is doing its job. With engines that hold small amounts of oil analysis may not save any money. Coolant analysis can also be a valuable tool. Most vehicles these days call for extended oil changes. Even VW's now often call for 10,000 mile intervals. While oil changes are inexpensive over a couple hundred thousand miles unneeded services can add up. Keep in mind the difference in cost from us do it yourselfers to those paying for the service.

Dennis