Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 26 Oct 2013 17:27:26 -0700
From:         David J <mdhiker@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Rear heater issues  with blower resister *and* wiring

I'm not able to run my rear heater (no blower function) on my 83.5 and have gotten it down to three distinct issues: 1.  I've verified that the blower motor for the rear heater core works, but only full-speed by putting 12V to it.  However, 12V to either of the two resister leads yields nothing.  Is that resister (or an easy equivalent) available separately to give me multiple-speeds again?  This test ruled-out the blower being bad, correct? 2.  I get no power on any of the four wires feeding the switch that goes to the rear blower, and can't figure-out which wire represents which lead.  I have Yellow/Black, Black/Yellow, White and Yellow/(Gray?) at the switch socket.  Which one should be hot, and which colors match partial speeds?  All my fuses are new, but the relevant fuse for this blower is...? 3.  When I checked the switch for continuity/resistance (which I did before seeing if it was getting any power), I expected 1-2 Ohms when connected, and instead I get a bouncing number mostly over >= 120 Ohms for each combination.  Switch is original, but leads are absolutely corrosion-free.  Is this acceptable, or do I buy another switch as well? 4.  Since I'm starting to have seepage from valve and heater core back there, is anyone getting rid of one or both in good condition? Thanks all! David