Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 27 Oct 2013 21:34:22 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: idea?
Comments: To: Keith Hughes <keithahughes@YAHOO.COM>

BTDT! A famous van had an RV air conditioner on the back of the Adventure wagon roof. 2 group 31 AGM batteries got that AC through the night. Keep in mind once the sun goes down it does not have to run continuously. Be sure it is an energy efficient unit that turns the fan off when cooling is not needed. Yes the 12 volt options are spendy but just like RV designed refrigerators they are light weight and energy efficient. And yes using batteries this way does shorten their life not to mention the huge strain on the alternator if that is how you plan to charge 200 A/H of discharged battery. So unless you plan to drive a lot each day at some point you are back to a generator. That van owner traveled with a 3K Honda(!) but he didn’t want to run it at night so to the batteries he went. At some point he realized he at least needed a Sportsmobile.

Dennis