Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Oct 2013 11:00:55 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Noisy transaxle??
Comments: To: Stacy Schneider <vwcrewman@gmail.com>

Another opinion: Get the 5sp! They are great! I love mine, it really helps.

The motor in my van is an inline but I don't see that making much difference.

The 5th gear is quite tall (65mph is 3700rpms) and the spacing between 5th and 4th is pretty close....Off hand, I guess about 600rpms? Anyhow, I hardly ever use 1st gear in daily driving but I do use it a lot on dirt or slick roads or very rough terrain or extra steep hills..

Otherwise, mine is like driving a 4sp, pretty much, except the gears are closer together and you have that almost granny gear first for creeping over tough stuff or starting on real steep hills...A great improvement to driveabilty. At 50mph to 70mph you can use either 4th or 5th, depending on the approaching terrain or headwind..I often drop back from 5th to 4th at about 65mph and hold it there on long grades like the Grapevine or Siskyou summit......it feels like I'm lugging my 2.0 liter ABA if I get the revs below about 2500rpms...Only long and fairly steep climbs will MAKE me shift back to 4th, but I choose to not push uphill and I usually like to climb at about 60-65mph on the big long climbs, because I usually don't hurry and I think it's a good enough speed uphill.

Get the 5sp, especially if you drive on rough terrain.