Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Oct 2013 14:06:49 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Noisy transaxle??
Comments: To: ralph meyermann <ralphmeyermann@GMAIL.COM>

..........and the 5 speed just not just bolt into an 82 diesel vanagon. you need the entire shift linkage.. and doing it 'stock' ..you need 5 speed engine carrier bars and rubber mounts and the large bolts that mount the rubber mounts to the bars. Biggest bolt in the whole van ...14mm diameter , and I don't mean the hex wrench size , the shaft size.

there are two advantages of the 5 speed..you have 3 ratios to play with from about 35mph to top speed, not just two. You also have a 'half a granny' lowish first gear.

what happens is you start in 2nd like it's a 4 speed when it's easy ..like at a stop sign on the level. If you want to use first ..say starting on a hill.. the shift from 1st ( back down and left ) to 2nd is just odd and doesn't work that well.

it is an improvement ....be nice if it was a real close-ratio 5 speed with first a normal ration for a 1st gear .. and left and forward like normal first gears are.

there is a way to get this ....in 5 or 6 speed. Very expensive though. It's fit a Subaru transaxle with a reversed ring and pinion ... not cheap .. I have not driven one...but there are some in the vanagon world for sure. There's also Porsche 911 5 speed manual trans that some people have put in vanagons. .. and I would just love to do a Porsche 4 speed SportMatic ...a 4 speed manual trans with no clutch pedal .. aka known as AutoStick Shift in VW Bugs, where it was just a 3 speed. .. kinda slick though .. for no electronics, no clutch pedal, but manual shifting. Trickiest part is an additional oil pump for the torque converter ( has a small torque converter plus a small conventional clutch operated by vacuum ) . VW and Porsche just put that extra oil pump on top of the existing waterboxer type oil pump. I still have a vaccum control valve and large vacuum res for one of these systems.

my new favorite early vanagon that I own is an 83 5 speed Sunroof Diesel Vanagon ..soon it'll have a turbo too, and rebuilt engine. Should be quite the rig for a non-westy / non-weekender.

Scott

On 10/22/2013 10:19 AM, ralph meyermann wrote: > Velma is not going on any trips until next spring/summer, only into the > garage after I finish repairing the deer damage on my Hyundai. Hopefully I > can find a 5 speed and have it gone through, if not this 4 speed will be > gone through. Heres for hoping for the elusive 5 speed > > Velma 82 1.9L AAZ td westy > On Oct 22, 2013 11:33 AM, "Stuart MacMillan" <stuartmacm@gmail.com> wrote: > >> The bottom line is you are on borrowed time with this unit, with the >> ultimate result you could need to add the core charge to the cost of your >> rebuild. Bits of hardened metal are swirling around in your oil and >> circulating through the transmission and transaxle. Once that hardened >> surface is lost, complete failure is rapid. >> >> BTW, I'm amazed to see that people have replaced the input shaft bearing >> with the shaft in place. Lots of skill and patience required to get that >> bearing out in situ. >> >> I don't do my own transmission work, so I've had Daryl do three for me over >> the years: www.aatransaxle.com He'll send you a box for $50, or you can >> often order an off the shelf unit and ship your (currently) rebuildable >> core >> back in the box and save the $50. Core charge is $500 if yours is toast >> (usually case damage). >> >> Good luck! >> >> Stuart >> >> -----Original Message----- >> From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of >> ralph meyermann >> Sent: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 7:57 AM >> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >> Subject: Re: Noisy transaxle?? >> >> Pretty sure that my input shaft bearing is loose/going out, but I think >> there are other worn parts that need attention. >> >> >>