Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2013, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 31 Oct 2013 14:03:38 -0700
From:         Gary Peebles <captn.peebs@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Head Damage?

Red light time for Damages heads Well, over the last year I have had the red light on three times with blown hoses. So I have fixed leaky thermostat housing, leaky distribution unit, changed the clogged radiator. This engine has 70+ k on it. A rebuilt GoWesty 2.2l. put in in 4-17-2009, I replaced all of the coolant hoses, also. Long story short, I have had mistreated the coolant system while in South American and in storage down there. Had it filled with water only, most of the time. It has been a little over two years back in the states with the proper coolant back in it. My mechanic said that my system is tight, no leaks or compression gasses detected. Had a pressure check, a leak down test, and a compression check, and I also checked the expansion tank for exhaust gases(negative). The Passenger side head that blew a gasket from over heating from a blown hose is only getting 120 psi in both cylinders (#1, and #2).[ I had that head check for damage, mechanic in Calgary, Alberta, said that there was no damage that he could see.] The drivers side , #3 is getting 150 psi, #4 is getting 170 psi. It is currently running a little hot, meaning the first level rad fan comes on earlier than it used to. I have noticed that I am having to bleed the radiator of air often. I have changed the blue pressure cap. It only suck water from the overflow tank just after I have bleed it. When I take an hour trip or more the running temp seems to go from the middle of the red light to just past it. Then I check the expansion tank reservoir and there is air in it to almost the first return hose inlet. If I run the van at 3800 rpm to 4,000 rpm it fills up with air, more quickly than if I keep the rpms down to around 3000 to 3400 over time. When the expansion tank is filled up with air the overflow cap won’t refill the that space from the top up tank. When I was thinking that I was running hot( temp gauge reading just above the red light position) , after a 50 mile drive, I had my mechanic check the temperatures of the rad Normal-187, thermostat housing-187, water pump 190, and both heads 190. I had just bleed the system the day before so the expansion tank was full, no air gap. My mechanic thinks I am over reacting. For some reason it seems the system is just not keeping up with the heat. So yesterday I changed out the Thermostat. I checked out the old Thermostat and it opened, slowly and not very much at the boiling point. I also checked out the new one and it opened quickly and seemed to have a larger opening. I also noticed that the old thermostat Meryle?, was a bit taller than the new Wahler? both German made. I ran the engine and gauge showed mid level and didn’t seem to climb. As I revved the engine to 2500 rpm for a minute or more, I noticed bubbles filling the expansion tank, hm. I think I might have had two problems, the thermostat being one of them. What is causing air to get into the coolant system? Do I have a small crack somewhere in a head? Or am I missing another possibility? Frustrated, Gary Peebles Seal Beach, Ca. and Paco(our Westy)