Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Nov 2013 06:59:33 -0800
From:         Stuart Fedak VE3SMF <ve3smf@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Propex alternative?
Comments: To: Harry Hoffman <hhoffman@IP-SOLUTIONS.NET>

Anyone can be uncomfortable while Vanagon camping.  The real art is to be comfortable, and at the same time being some what of a minamalist.  This is a balance.  When you wish the company of others, such as children, spouses, significant others, you are best to err on the side of comfort.  If you do not want them to ever come again, then by all means make it uncomfortable.  There is a reason when marketing camping, you always see advertisements with wine glasses, nice plates and real knifes and forks.  They do not show wearing extra wool hats, eating out of aluminium military plates with a swiss army knife set.  I have done my share of wilderness camping, drilling holes in tooth brushes to cut down on weight, and seeking out tents and sleeping bags that can withstand getting wet.  This is not why one goes camping in a Vanagon.   I had been speaking to my wife about the Propex heaters and the various options people had been talking about.  She then said that if we wanted to do more camping in September/October, that the Propex heater sounded like the best choice.  Hmmmmmm  what should I do?  Sounds like I will be getting a Propex heater.....   The same goes for interior LED lighting.... to accommodate my wife's passion for reading.     The main advantage that I see of the Vanagon, is the ability to do comfortable travel camping.  It's size and age means you have to be some what of a minimalist, and keep the weight down.  You can also have the vehicle loaded with most of your kit, and then make a quick decision to go camping.  Hard wired kit such as the Propex heater, LED lights and other improvements means one less thing to hunt for, when getting ready to go camping.  No looking for the 20 pound propane tank, hoses, adapters, boiling water and loading 20 L plastic containers.   Just turn it on when you need it.    I agree that items such as the Buddy heaters are useful for occasional use.  The same with military sleeping bags, wool hats and cold weather kit.  Once you decide this is something that you will be doing on a regular basis, and you want to extend your camping season and range, then some sort of off the grid heating is a good option.  This is very important when others are also coming that may not share your prepper outlook on camping.   Thanks to all the members on the list for the various perspectives.  It really comes down to a personal choice, but often in that personal choice, you have to think about the others in your life that you wish to share your adventures.  Their needs have to be accommodated as well.  What you are looking for is a win-win situation, that fits your budget.  At different phases of life, the win-win will change.   Cheers! Stuart ________________________________ From: Harry Hoffman <hhoffman@IP-SOLUTIONS.NET> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Tuesday, November 5, 2013 8:49:41 AM Subject: Re: Propex alternative? And therein lies the reasoning for all of the mods to the van! Otherwise I'd be out backpacking with just a bivouac. Having the family along and *not* miserable is worth quite a bit :-) Cheers, Harry