Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Nov 2013 10:53:08 -0800
From:         Al Knoll <anasasi@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Propex alternative?
Comments: To: Stuart Fedak VE3SMF <ve3smf@yahoo.com>
Comments: cc: Mike Miller <mwmwork@gmail.com>

On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 6:59 AM, Stuart Fedak VE3SMF <ve3smf@yahoo.com> wrote: > Anyone can be uncomfortable while Vanagon camping. The real art is to be comfortable, and at the same time being some what of a minamalist. This is a balance. < Well put, Mr. Fedak VE3SMF

Should that be a hyphenated last name or it is some sort of secret code? (humor intended). . I too subscribed to a minimalist kit long ago but now in my rust years, having difficulty maintaining my balance, I have gradually added to the kit. A leisurely wander through "The Complete Walker" or "Cooking on and off the road" will guide those who wish to travel in that style. Stalking the wild asparagus is also a fine reference tome for wilderness adventure.

For now, I carry a fork, the one I found years ago in the road and took without permission.

My propex, the 1800, honks on just fine after early warranty repairs by Karl, but as we have hinted around , the thermodynamics of winter in the vanagon (das eis box) involve not only production of but conservation of those slippery therms. Cee Bailey makes some truly useful insulated window coverings. And thanks to Mikey they may still have a pattern for Vanagons.

The three laws of thermodynamics summarized for the non technical among us:

1. You can't win. 2. You can't break even. 3. You can't get out of the game.

Their product is a set of custom-cut alumium/mylar reflective/insulating window thingys like the folding sunscreens popular with advertisers, but that adhere using suck-shun cups. Stick em on and be cool, or keep warm depending on the thermal gradient between the great outdoors and your humble abode. Rather a passive thermal idea. Well accepted in the aircraft industry. Made in USA to Vanagon Specifications. BTW they also function as window shades for those who would not like to be casually observed by the evil eye while brewing up. And keeps the bats out.

http://www.autosunshields.com/

Look for volkswagen and tiguan for an example as they don't have a current photo of a vanagon. I spoke with Danny there in Montebello CA and told him I would be promoting his company on the esteemed vanagon list. He will be searching his archival storage for the pattern.

Thanks to RJones for responding to the test-tickle on the thermal barrier. The kodachrome fades even more quickly these days. Probably keeps the bats in the belfry where they belong.

Pensionerd.