Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Nov 2013 11:56:00 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Runaway Starter Saga Continues
Comments: To: JRodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM>

It would be very handy to have a spare distributor to try.

you might check for wet-fouled spark plugs first thing.

After that ... I'd do is do the ole coil wire spark test. If no spark... then I starting LOOKING visually for things that don't look right .. a wire off, a loose connection, corrosion at contacts or ground wires. - take that one brown wire at the distributor ..if that's not supplying ground ..you got no ign.

the Hall Sender is basically an electronic trigger. It's part of the primary circuit that triggers to coil to make the secondary ign circuit happen ..the high voltage that sparks the spark plugs.

the components involved are .. Distributor and Hall Sender ECU ...as that has what was 'the igniter' .. a separate box, until in the 2.1 it's part of the ecu. the coil naturally. Ignition switch all wiring, and ground connections

first find out if it's lack of spark. it could just as easily be wet-fouled spark plugs . ( timing slipped ...like dist not tightened down ? ..that'll create the same affect )

I am amazed at how often people fuzt around with this and that over a basic problem about getting fuel, air, and igntion, and timing of it all , and never check at least one spark plug. The plugs can tell you a lot ..they are right in where the main event takes place - what makes it go. Check there.

Scott

On 11/5/2013 5:59 AM, JRodgers wrote: > I'm still in pursuit of getting my van running again after the runaway > starter incident. Here is where I am with it now. > > New starter (engine turns - won't start - not even sputter) > New ignition switch > Fuel pump runs (pressurizes the system ok) > > No start. > > I tried a couple of shots of starter ether into the intake and it won't > fire on that either - indicating an ignition problem for sure. > > It looks like meter time. > > Any suggestions on where to start testing to track this down? > > BTW - I don't fully understand how hall sensor works. I believe it is > suspect some how in all this. > > Thanks, > > John >