Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Nov 2013 16:49:59 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Runaway Starter Saga Continues
Comments: To: JRodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM>

I like to do the test with the distributor in my hands, key on, and turning it by hand.

what you should get for each 1/4 turn is a spark out of the coil wire, and the fuel pump should be triggered by each ignition pulse too.

this also has the advantage of doing a wiggle test on the wires where they connect to the side of the distributor while you hold it in your hands at different angles etc.

I think I've only had to do one 2.1 Hall Sender so far. These days, if I find no, or intermittently no igntion. on a 2.1 .. and it's not something else... I'd put in a new Hall Sender. Imagine how many times it has triggered pulses in 25 + years. I don't throw parts at cars to fix them.. but at some point ..especially in electronics ....

besides...a known good spare ecu and distributor are mandatory to own I think..if one fixes and maintains their own vanagon. Shouldn't be that hard to get some ign going.

Did you look at a spark plug or two yet ?

On 11/5/2013 1:20 PM, JRodgers wrote: > That's it. That's what I did. No fire! > > John > > On 11/5/2013 3:14 PM, Scott Daniel wrote: >> if you mean - put the end of the coil near the block to see if a spark >> is there and will jump the 1/4 inch gap .. >> no spark there means ignition is not happening. >