Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 7 Nov 2013 07:11:56 -0500
From:         Larry Alofs <lalofs@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Cigarette lighter Outlet voltage
Comments: To: Andre Fiedler <fiedlerac@gmail.com>

Yes, what Scott said. That voltage is definitely low. I assume you measured it with the engine running at idle speed. Seems like Scott would have asked you to be more specific. :-) If the voltage varies with engine speed and will reach 14V or so at higher speeds, I would think that the alternator itself is weak. If it seems to be regulated at 13.3 or less, I would try changing the regulator/brush module. I would add that the voltage drop as you get further from the battery depends on the amount of load on that circuit. With no significant load there should be no significant drop. Check the voltage at the battery and the alternator at various engine speeds and report back.

Larry A.