Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Nov 2013 21:29:10 -0400
From:         Jonce Fancher <streetbugs@FRONTIER.COM>
Subject:      Re: Propex alternative?
Comments: To: tom ring <taring@TARING.ORG>

Hi Tom Which Catalytic heater do you have??

Jonce >One thing I learned during my heating experiments in the last 2 weeks is that >my Coleman catalytic produces 0 CO (on the digi display) as >monitored by the CO >alarm I have in the van. I know it works as the engine can set it off when I >have the engine cover off when I'm working on it and it's running. > >I was quite happy to discover that. It's still a very good idea to >have decent >ventilation when using one as running out of oxygen is kinda bad. > >tom > >On 30 Oct 2013 at 23:40, Karl Mullendore wrote: > > > This question comes up every year. Three basic options (well, truly safe > > options), from low to high in price, with my observations: > > 1) Atwood, been around forever, 75% efficiency = 9000 btu. > Probably find one > > for $300-400. Does the job but doesn't fit so well in the stock > Westy cabinets > > 2) Propex, been around a long time also, and continuously improved, 93% > > efficiency = 6500/9700 btu depending on model. Half or less of the physical > > size of the Atwood. $735-840. > > 3) Espar and Webasto gas/diesel heaters - well established design, multiple > > speeds and heater levels, efficiency good, half the size of a Propex, but > > 1.5 to 2 times the price. Yearly maintenance required, which the propane > > heaters usually do not. > > I've had vans with all of the above and all served the purpose. My favorite > > is the Espar diesel version as I usually install these in my > personal diesel > > Syncros. > > What I wouldn't use is a catalytic or other non-vented heater. > Sleeping bags > > are much cheaper. I'd sooner build a tiny wood stove. :-) > > Karl > >----------------------------------------- >Tom Ring K0TAR EN34hx > >Never attribute to engineers that into which politicians, lawyers, >accountants, and marketeers have poked their fingers. >-----------------------------------------