Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Nov 2013 23:30:41 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Runaway Starters and Kill Switches
Comments: To: JRodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM>

Battery switch. In either positive or ground cable side. I put mine, if on the driver's side....near the parking brake ..mounted in the side of the box the seat sits on. for the other side... I mount it on the front side of the seat box structure ....easily reachable there.

For a serious short or electrical fire, being able to chop all battery power immediately is a very handy thing.

On 11/1/2013 9:47 PM, JRodgers wrote: > OK, I am becoming very paranoid. > > I have two 88 Vanagons - both of whom have had runaway starters in > recent weeks. > > The first disengaged the flywheel but ran until I could get the > passenger seat moved forward, access the battery box, apply a wrench- > and remove the cable from the battery post - which all seems an > interminable period of time. It killed the starter. Had to get a new one, > > The second was on the Volksiebus - the 88 Transporter a few days ago. > Fortunately as I was struggling to get the passenger seat moved forward > for access to the battery box - it shut itself off. And, to add to my > consternation - it works just fine an hasn't faulted since! But oh do I > ever know - if it's one it once - it will do it again.!! > > I have start relays on both these puppies - never had a lick of trouble > ever - then this = two of the same episodes on different vehicles with > in a few weeks of each other. Totally weird! I have looked at the relays > very carefully - I don;t thinks it;s a snowballs chance in July that > they are somehow at fault. > > But what would bypass the ignition switch and keep power to the starter > and keep it running - with the ignition off!! > > Any ideas? > > And - I's so paranoid over this I think I need a kill switch. Any ideas > on those and were to put them? > > Thanks, > > John >