Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Nov 2013 20:30:17 -0600
From:         JRodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Arduino and Vanagons

I keep getting project announcements about a micro-controller board called the Arduino and some of them really look interesting. I would really like to get into this stuff, but haven't a clue when it comes to electronics and programing microprocessors. About all I can say about it is that I can tell a resister from a capacitor - and maybe a transistor - and an IC chip - but beyond that - I'm as dumb as a stump. Trying to create a circuit that could do something worthwhile would probably give me a nervous breakdown. But there are two things I would like to do with this, of maybe someone already has. One - is build a programmable controller that could control the firing of an electric kiln - and have it work in conjunction with a desktop PC. The second - and most important thing - would be to develop a digital replacement box for the Analog box that controls the Idle Stablizer System in the Vanagon. That's the box just forward of the right hand stop light in the Vanagon. Those things are expensive - and becoming more and more scarce. At one time someone was working on something like this - but I haven't heard anything about in in the last two-three years. So maybe some knowledgeable person or persons could/would take up the challenge for the Vanagon List family?? Maybe come up with something like Darrel Boehlers ECU test kit he designed a few years ago. That accomplishment would be a grand thing. I would do such a thing - but like I said - on electronics, I'm dumber than a stump.

Anyone game? Or maybe want to talk of this??

John in Birmingham