Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 Nov 2013 23:23:34 -0500
From:         James Eaton <jk_eaton@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Arduino and Vanagons

Brett, the idle stabilizer that you're thinking of, the DIS (Digital Idle Stabilizer) from the CIS system, has no resemblance to the Idle Stabilization Valve (ISV) in a 2.1L Vanagon. I had a Rabbit with DIS, and it stabilised the idle by advancing the ignition when the engine slowed. The Vanagon system is an air control valve, driven by a PWM (pulse width modulation) system, that varies the duty cycle (proportion of time 'on' to time 'off' in the electronic cycle) to allow more air into the engine when the idle speed drops. Inputs include an AC sensor, power steering pump sensor, ECU output, and more. But you're right, the programming should not be too difficult, once the input values and output values needed are established. Guess I better haul an oscilloscope home and check the output of the ISV controller!

I can haul an oscilloscope home because I teach electronics in a automation and Robotics program in a community college. One of the courses I teach is the programming of microcontrollers, but not the hobby-level Arduino, rather its industrial competitor, the Microchip PIC microcontroller - similar idea, but many more 'industrial' applications. Microchip PICs are inside most modern cars - there's supposed to be a European luxo-sedan whose 2013 model has more than 40 of them churning away inside, running everything from the anti-lock brakes to the climate system to the airbags.

As mentioned, it's not the ruggedness of the chip that matters so much as the ruggedness of the rest of the electronic assembly. Potting the electronics after assembly helps, but component selection will be important too.

I, too, would be willing to help with this - but since I teach full-time and am pursuing a Master's, my time's a bit short. Would have to pack development into holidays.

One last note - the original post talked about replacing the 'analog' ISV with digital version. Tain't so, since the output of the ISV controller is a PWM signal (that's why your ISV vibrates when it's running!). Replacing 1980s digital electronics with 2013 digital electronics is a good idea, though.

I love this group. I have learned so much from you all, including the confidence to tackle projects on our much-loved Westy.

James '91 Vanagon Westfalia Weekender (in Orly Blue) Ottawa, ON