Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Nov 2013 10:43:34 -0800
From:         Anthony Egeln <regnsuzanne@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fw: Subaru EJ20 Turbo Diesel - Payback
Comments: To: Al Knoll <anasasi@GMAIL.COM>

There is more to the "payback" issue than just fuel economy, or the price of gas vs. diesel. Follow this perspective. If I buy a new Sprinter van for, what, $30+ grand?  Or even a new Honda Odyssey at $28 grand, to serve my transportation and recreational needs, what is my payback on that?  If I spend $11-12 grand to upgrade my beloved to the modern world of engines and fuel management, isn't that a better deal?  With the added benefit of utility that a new vehicle today may not be able to provide as well as the Vanagon. So IMHO there is more to it than just fuel economy issues. Cheers, Anthony '89 Syncro GL (Hidalgo) ________________________________ From: Al Knoll <anasasi@GMAIL.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 5:02 PM Subject: Re: Fw: Subaru EJ20 Turbo Diesel It is the shape of the graph that is important not the scales.  Send me the graph data and I'll make a converted graph for all to share.  Or send me a large scale picture 5x7 inches of the graph and I'll go from there. Diesel torque curves as you know are very different from gasoline torque curves.  To generate thrust, the force that pushes your vanagon down the road, the torque from the engine, is passed through the transmission reduction gearing out through the drive axles to the wheel spindles.  If you have 100 lbs/ft of torque at the drive axle and it is being resolved through a moment arm of one foot (the distance from the center of the axle to the ground via the wheel and tire radii) you achieve 100lbs of thrust or push from the contact patch of the tire to the vehicle. Adjusting the example numbers to fit the particular instance of your van is left as a pretty simple exercise.  I don't have your numbers but I can help you figure it all out. The most interesting thing is that it uses SUBARU clutch bits not some singlesourced specialty item that may suddenly become NLA if the fellow in Palmdale  or Tacomadness WA, fades away. Take a drive in a diesel vanagon of any sort and see how you like it. Might not be your cup of tea. It will take years to recover the cost of putting this in your van based on diesel vs gasoline prices.  Ask the fellow what his particular gearing is, what he achieves in fuel consumption on the road, then work the numbers to see how long it will take to recover the investment you have planned. Unless of course you have Tom Hanks in your pocket. EG  if the fuel cost differential is 20% more for diesel and the fuel consumption is 20% less than gasoline it's a fuel wash.  No gain.  Only the expense and problems of removing and installing a newish motor into a ancient diva in decline. Run the numbers, drive a diesel, a turbo if you have access to one, report back to the volks on the list. Happy trails. Pensionerd.