Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Nov 2013 12:24:44 -0800
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fw: Subaru EJ20 Turbo Diesel - Payback
Comments: To: Stuart Fedak VE3SMF <ve3smf@yahoo.com>

This by no means a comparison to the Suby diesel, and I'm not touting one conversion over another, but in terms of mods done.....

Were I to put my '81 up for sale tomorrow, I'd be interested to see what kind of buyer would be interested. The obvious appeal is the newer different engine (an improvement over the engine that was in there). But.... the buyer would likely have to be the type that wants to be involved with the van beyond turning the key and going, appreciates things like renewed pedal cluster parts and heater fan, and be ok with some rust and dents. They'd also be someone who doesn't mind a modified lower bunk. ;)

But you're right IMO. The memories created should be the goal. In my case, the engine has only once let me down and I was lucky to get home easily after that. Otherwise, the investment of time and $ has been well worth it. I've had quite a few long reliable trips in my bus.

Neil.

On 11/14/13, Stuart Fedak VE3SMF <ve3smf@yahoo.com> wrote:

> ..... Sticking with a well documented restoration, using as many original > parts most likely has the best re-sale value (financial) in the long term. > RV dealer lots are usually littered with well meaning vehicles that have > been modified. They usually are stuck in the back lot, covered in dust. > > If you love your Westy, and just want to keep on with a more reliable > engine/drivetrain, then by all means do the work, and enjoy. The ultimate > object is to take the vehicle on the road and have an adventure. The > financial aspects are secondary. If your personal budget permits this > upgrade, then go for it. The real payback may be your collection of photo > of you and your ride, parked along the side of the road, in a campground, > doing stealth camping, camping at Wal-Mart or being off the grid.

-- Neil n

Blog: tubaneil.blogspot.ca

'88 Westy http://tinyurl.com/c8rlw6p

'81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

Vanagon VAG *Gas* inline-VR Engine Swap Group:

http://tinyurl.com/d7gd5ej