Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 8 Nov 2013 20:47:47 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: machine shop recommendations (vancouver)
Comments: To: Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>

If the stock bolts are broken off in the housing .. and the idea is to drill them or 'it' out ...it's about a 3 inch long bolt - not practical to drill that far.

I heat the part , very carefully, with the broken off bolts , then drive them out with a punch and hammer. And as I wrote the other day ..I enlarge the long bolt holes just slightly .. so the bolts won't corrode in place again.

what they screw into is the water pump. if there's a broken off bolt in the water pump ...the normal thing would be to just put a new w. pump on.

As I mentioned ..I have these parts, well restored , in stock. It's a bother for me to ship stuff....so doesn't matter me to me if people fix what they have, but I do keep those parts at hand, in good condition.

Scott Prisoner # 4682.

On 11/8/2013 9:51 AM, Stuart MacMillan wrote: > Any automotive machine shop will have this. Machinist will likely have to > drill out the broken bolts but will be able to repair it with Helicoil > inserts (hopefully). Worth it for a part you can't get anymore. > > > > Good luck! > > > > Stuart > > > > From: carchrae@gmail.com [mailto:carchrae@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Tom > Carchrae > Sent: Friday, November 08, 2013 9:10 AM > To: Stuart MacMillan > Cc: Vanagon mailing list > Subject: machine shop recommendations (vancouver) > > > > On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 8:58 AM, Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@gmail.com> > wrote: > > Take that thermostat housing to a machine shop with a hot tank and soak it. > That should clean it up even if it is epoxy, and have them remove the broken > bolts. > > > > Thanks Stuart. That is a very sensible suggestion - especially the bolts > part. > > > > Vancouver persons; do you have any recommendations of shops that would do > this? Otherwise, I'll try yellow pages. > > > > Thanks all, > > > > Tom >