Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 8 Nov 2013 21:26:58 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: machine shop recommendations (vancouver)
Comments: To: Jim Arnott <jrasite@EONI.COM>

Thank you for the clarification.

Shame on those M6 screws holding the steel flange on being busted off or whatever , as there is never any reason to remove those two bolts.. that steel flange can just stay where it is, like forever. I have not seen a gasket failure or leak there ever.

Rarely, the steel flange may be corroded ..like with holes in it, but normally ...just leave it bolted to the housing .

Scott

On 11/8/2013 9:01 PM, Jim Arnott wrote: > IIRC, it’s the two M6 bolts that hold the steel flange to the 1” hose to the head that Tom’s having problems with. On a 1.9 thermo housing, there are (2) M8 bolts that pass through the housing and thread into the water pump and (4) M6 bolts that are always breaking. Two to hold the above flange on and two that hold the thermostat cover on. I Heli-coil those puppies whenever I had a housing in my hand. Stainless threads and a bit of anti-seize and they never break again. > > Machine shop and Heli-coil. Do all four M6 holes. > > Jim >