Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 10 Nov 2013 11:06:36 -0600
From:         ralph meyermann <ralphmeyermann@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Fwd: Re: [Vwdiesel] rare turbo kit
Comments: To: "buskatiers@buskatiers.org" <buskatiers@buskatiers.org>

Not mine, just sharing

Velma 82 1.9L AAZ td westy ---------- Forwarded message ---------- From: "Doyt W. Echelberger" <doyt@buckeye-express.com> Date: Nov 10, 2013 10:42 AM Subject: Re: [Vwdiesel] rare turbo kit To: <vwdiesel@vwfans.com>

Sitting on a skid in Ohio, I have the entire engine and tranny pulled from > my rusting 1985 Jetta TD.Sitting on a skid in OhioS >

I parked the car four years ago after the engine started overheating and ftom oil showing in the coolant I suspected a leaking head gasket .....but didn't pull the head and replace the gasket because the car also needed shocks and fenders and the wipers were slowing down and the fuel tank straps were ready to let go, the front bumper cover was off, the plastic grill was cracked, the floor boards were rusting out, and the jack points were rusted, risky and unreliable......etc.

But I salvaged the entire engine and transmission and air induction/air filtering system.

I planned to swap it into another Jetta I owned....a rust-free 100k mile 1989 Jetta NA diesel with a nice clean interior and good floor pans. But that little basic diesel ran so nice I never got around to doing the swap.

Now I see interest in this turbo kit at roughly 900 bucks, and it doesn't have the turbo-modified injector pump or the high-flo injectors or the oil squirters or special pistons and rods......so I wonder what my entire engine and tranny is worth or if there is a market for it. It has all the parts in the kit, but the parts are stock and not subject to the manifold design problems of the kit......so it must be at least as valuable as the kit.... which has an asking price $895.

Anybody want to help me try to evaluate it? I'll probably never execute my plans...I'm 83 years old and don't do heavy work on my own cars anymore. And this list is probably the only place people who do this stuff can discuss such things.

Doyt