Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (November 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Nov 2013 07:40:41 -0800
From:         Brett Ne <brettn777@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Arduino and Vanagons

VW may have spent millions developing the waterboxer, but it takes tens of millions to do it properly. It seems pretty clear to me that VW knew early on that they were going to switch to an inline front engined front wheel drive van(using the driver's & passenger's legs as part of the front crumple zone is really not the best strategy) and never spent the resources necessary to develop the waterboxer beyond just a basic level of functionality.

On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 2:32 PM, Jim Akiba <syncrolist@bostig.com> wrote:

> You can measure the correct duty cycle for your setup. Get your PWM > controller working manually (preferably with a dashpot input and > output so you can read where you are) get the engine warmed up > normally then interrupt it and see where "middle" is for the desired > idle via your manual control when warm. You can then begin to work > backwards and get the colder temps etc, unless you just watch/log the > current outputs. > > This still wouldn't tell me the most important information that I need to know: how is the idle air valve supposed to behave outside of the normal idle conditions. Is it supposed to be closed, partially open, or fully open during engine startup, driving down the road, and fully open throttle. I haven't found a source that positively tells me how the idle air valve should be behaving under these conditions, so I have to have some measurements from a healthy controller in order to find out. The other measurements I'm asking for , the duty cycles at idle under various loads, is not critical, but would give me a better idea of how aggressively the code needs to change the pwm signal. If it's not aggressive enough you get lag, but if it's too aggressive you get overshoot and the potential for oscillating behavior.

> The arduino stuff is cool, I built an OBDII to SD card autologger as > well as a few more intense projects with the Parallax Propeller (much > more powerful with 8 cores so the coding can be sloppier and no > interrupts etc needed). >

The Propeller chip is way cool. It really makes life easier when you have multiple critical timing events happening. Eight independent microcontrollers that are perfectly synchronized. Even the Arduino is a bit of overkill for this project. But I want to add some additional functionality to the ICU using some of the extra pins. For example, an LED that lights up when the throttle valve is closed or fully open so that you can tell at a glance whether your throttle switch is working.

Brett in Portland "Albert" '82 VanaFox I4 Riviera