Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Nov 2013 09:54:49 -0800
From:         Stacy Schneider <vwcrewman@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: replacing window glass seals
Comments: To: Brett Ne <brettn777@gmail.com>

It's all about the angle of which the rope is pulled . On sliders there is almost no clearance between the edge of the slider and the pinch weld . I start them at the bottom and tilt the top out and slowly bring it in while I bring the sides up . I then pull the window away from the opening while I finish roping it in . If you just put it in the opening and pull the rope towards you it will rip everytime .

Stacy

On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 9:41 AM, Brett Ne <brettn777@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 9:28 AM, J Stewart <fonman4277@comcast.net> wrote: > > > I consider myself fairly experienced at replacing VW glass, I've done it > > on a Splitty, many Bays, a Super Beetle, and a few Vanagons. The WORST > > experience of all of the was last spring trying to replace the seal o n > my > > sliding door window. The first seal shredded during installation. (Cord > and > > soapy water method) I had bought the seal from Go Westy! and they sent > me > > another one. I managed to get it installed, but not without it ripping > in a > > couple of spots. As time goes on it is starting to tear even more, to to > > the point that someday the window is probably going to blow out of the > door > > at highway speeds from the pressure. Not looking forward to replacing it > > again. Jeff Stewart ----- Original Message ----- > > > > Yikes! Any suggestions?? I was thinking that the sliding door window was > going to be the easier of the two. > > > Brett in Portland, OR > "Albert" '82 VanaFox I4 Riviera >

-- 1989 Swedish Tristar with Aluminum gates and Atiwe 16" Wheels. Oldest son is an Eagle scout.